In light of the news that Chris Bosh is probably going to Miami, I initially felt a little down. Then, I realized that to feel anything but optimism for next season is irrational.
Ron Artest i.e. the lockdown defender who kept Kobe at bay. Wait, wasn't that Shane Battier? Don't we still have him?
- Carl Landry. OK, pretty big loss, I'll admit.
- Trevor Ariza i.e. a younger, less crazy Artest-level defender who can knock down key shots and is a monster slasher.
- Kevin Martin i.e. the perimeter threat we always lacked, a ridiculously efficient and creative scorer.
- The development of Aaron Brooks & Kyle Lowry into one of the best point-guard duos in the NBA. That MIP award speaks for itself.
- A reconstructed Yao Ming whose knee surgery will hopefully follow precedent (Ilgauskas) and last an entire series this time around.
- Chase Budinger, Jordan Hill, Patrick Patterson, Jermaine Taylor... you get the idea
Personally, I think if we don't do anything but resign Lowry and Scola this off-season, we'll still be in the mix to go deep into the playoffs and contend for a title.