Okay, I've had two days now to process the Trevor Ariza for Courtney Lee trade (with three other teams I do not care about receiving players I do not care about). Now, my first reaction was admittedly "WTF is Daryl Morey doing?!?" because it did look like a pure salary dump. And I took pride in believing that the Rockets never have to resort to such tactics. Then again, it's a business... it's always about the money in the end.
/cue lame Puff Daddy "All about the Benjamins" video/
But then I realized there are a whole host of reasons why we should embrace this trade. Namely:
- We never again have to watch Trevor Ariza shoot free throws
- We never again have to watch Trevor Ariza try to dribble a basketball (painful)
- Lee (UofTOrange) now gets to buy a Rockets jersey with his name on the back
- At least we did not trade for Rafer
- Or anyone from the Utah Jazz
- We can now make fun of a Rockets player for having a girl's name
- You can never have too many players who went to college in Kentucky
- If New Jersey is giving up on a guy, he *has* to be good, right?
- Seriously, we never again have to watch Trevor Ariza shoot free throws
- No one will ever try to compare Ariza to Robert Horry ever again. At least they better not.
- Has anyone ever known anyone named "Trevor" who is not a total dick? (just kidding for any readers out there named "Trevor" - though you're all on notice)
- The last thing we would want is for Daryl Morey to have an unrequited crush on Mr. Lee since he's apparently been stalking him for the last 2-3 years.
- Oh, yeah....... in Daryl Morey we trust. Always.
But really... no more watching Ariza try to shoot. Matt Bullard was damn near homicidal by the end of the year watching a guy who cannot shoot try to be a volume shooter. We avoided a catastrophe quite likely.
So I say... welcome aboard, Courtney Lee!
Though next time you have a chance to kill the Lakers at the buzzer in an NBA Finals game -- don't miss!