We see you, Zoran Dragic. (Photo by Christof Koepsel/Bongarts/Getty Images)
Happy Sixth of July, all. Here are some notes to take down as we celebrate the day after the day after America's Independence Day.
1) Rockets Release Summer League Roster
Click to enlarge
Quite an intriguing roster, as if the Rockets ever keep the SL stuff bland. Guys to keep an eye on include:
1. All three first-round picks. Let's see who stands out and cements a good shot at getting the most preseason playing time.
2. Zoran Dragic isn't Goran Dragic, but he's taller and has a slightly cooler name, so that's worth following.
3. Lil Wayne is back, mayne.
4. Manny Harris is a talented guard who hasn't found an NBA home, but he could sure put up points for Michigan. Maybe he's just missing the right scenery.
5. Former Iona star Scott Machado was supposed to get drafted and was at one point a late first-round prospect. Can he make the Rockets' permanent roster?
6. Marcus Morris is still here, in case you forgot. I actually forgot.
7. Chandler Parsons apparently hasn't let his starting spot go to his head
8. See next section
2) Rockets Sign Donatas Motiejunas
Donuts is a Rocket at last, and that's more encouraging than you might think. It's no secret that D-Mo wants to come over and compete for a starting spot. The fact that he's willing to leave his overseas stardom for a glut of power forwards leads me to believe the Rockets have promised Motiejunas that the obstacles won't be as many come opening night.
3) A small thought on Daryl Morey
Today is a popular day to criticize Daryl Morey, sure, but make sure you realize something: Nearly all of us have at one point endorsed tanking or "blowing it up." Before you criticize Morey for suddenly blowing it up, don't forget that.