The man known as "Dork Elvis" took to Reddit today for an Ask Me Anything (AMA) where he answered questions about the Rockets, the playoffs and gushed about his willingness to "pay almost anything" for a Doritos-Locos taco.
The Dream Shake has pulled the key parts of the AMA and dropped them right here in a recap. If your office blocks Reddit or the phrase "subreddit" scares you, this recap has you covered (there's some scary-as-hell subreddits).
Morey declined to discuss the upcoming series with the Thunder in any detail. The conversation more generally covered his body of work as Rockets GM.
Doing another Reddit IAmA tomorrow (Fri 4/19) @1pm CT now that we have made playoffs against OKC. Hope you can join! Will send link asap— Daryl Morey (@dmorey) April 19, 2013
Morey's Rockets Observations:
- Historically, the 2012 - 2013 Rockets are the least experienced team in NBA history & have experienced most turnover in NBA history. Morey is proud of both.
- Harden can be the best player on a championship team. Parsons, Asik and Lin are all members of a championship team.
- Morey believes acquiring an All Star is more likely to occur through free agency than a trade.
- The Rockets lack of mid-range shots are a result of the offense, not orders from the coaches or the front office.
- Morey admits his worst trade as GM was Terrence Williams for this year's 1st round draft pick.
- Morey named-dropped Turkish pro Furkan Aldemir as a developing player. His rights are owned by the Rockets after being a part of a four-team trade that freed Lamar Odom from the Mavericks. Aldemir was selected 53rd in the 2012 NBA Draft by the Clippers.
- The most important move for the Rockets was trading Rafer Alston for Kyle Lowry for the Raptors first round pick. This set up the Harden trade.
- "it is pretty hard to take a bad three."
- "I am not a big beer guy."
- "The Doritos-Locos tacos are the only inelastic food item I know. I would pay almost anything for them"
- "McGrady is still a quality player"
Here's some questions Morey acknowledged, but entirely dodged giving an answer to:
- What's the most surprising thing he learned from camera tracking technology?
- What do the Rockets need to do to beat the Thunder? -- His answer "variance."
- Pre-season win loss expectations -- Morey quotes the Vegas over/under for wins as an "objective" pre-season mark.
- Royce White -- Morey is pleased Royce went to play for the Vipers, but made no mention about his future with the Rockets.
- Morey declined comment on how NBA offenses will evolve when defenses start shutting down current efficient offense practices (corner threes & shots at the rim).
Lastly, Morey admitted to reading The Dream Shake and the online Rockets community: "(I) May learn something." So keep commenting, readers.
You never know when "Dork Elvis" might be lurking a TDS comment thread, Doritos-Loco taco in hand.
Read the whole conversation on Reddit here.
Read Morey's pre-season AMA on Reddit here.