Some burning questions regarding how the Dwight Howard signing will impact the team next season:
- What happens to Asik? When Asik was on the bench, the Rockets defense was horrendous. That would be one good reason to keep him around (if he wants to stay, that is). He would be the best backup center in the league and ensure that the Rockets defense is solid for 48 minutes every game. He's also a better FT shooter, so you could in theory keep him out there if teams attempt to Hack-a-Howard their way into games.
- Will Dwight consistently run the floor? One of the keys of the Rockets offense was their bigs beating their man down the floor for easy buckets.
- Will McHale hold Dwight accountable? Rocket fans know McHale let Harden off the hook on defense, as well as some questionable decisions on offense (Iso-ball). Will McHale make the stars accountable or will he let them off the hook?
- Who will slide in at the PF slot? Obviously Morey isn't done yet. There has been some talk of Josh Smith and Ryan Anderson. Anderson would be a great fit to space the floor for Dwight but Josh Smith shores up a weak defensive team and can really run the floor and play the transition game. If they can't get either, is DMo or TJones ready to fill that spot? Can Asik play alongside Dwight?
- Will the Rockets still play at the same pace? The Rockets played at a fast pace partly because it was their best option - they had no inside game. With Howard in the fold, do they scrap the offense that worked so well for them last season and slow the game down?