Add me to the list of those disappointed that Kobe v. LeBron isn't going to happen. That series was going to be absolutely epic. For those that are excited that the "underdog" made it, I just don't see it. Granted, it will still be an entertaining finals, but it's not going to be a classic. Mark it down - this will be nothing more than an ordinary playoff series. However, that does not mean I'm going to miss it, and thus, I need to find someone to root for.
Why the Lakers:
- Promotes a false sense of accomplishment in losing to the eventual NBA champion.
- Rafer Alston would not receive a ring. Anything to keep him from receiving a ring.
- This could be Shannon Brown's coming out party (I'm a Brown fan; have been since his days at Michigan State).
- Western Conference bragging rights...?
- Shaquille O'Neal gets figuratively dunked on if Kobe Bryant gets his own ring. I would love to see that happen.
- A championship finally gives Kobe the O.K. to leave town, thus temporarily destroying the Laker franchise. Fine by me.
- Dwight Howard getting a ring would give him the "Duncan" edge over Yao, in terms of the ring debate. I don't feel like putting up with that in my explanations.
Why the Magic:
Rashard Lewis and I have a special bond, aside from the fact that we are both native Houstonians.
- The Utah Jazz also lost to the Lakers, thus nullifying my first reason to root for L.A. I'll sacrifice pride as long as Utah gets nothing.
- We beat the Magic in the regular season. We did not beat the Lakers in the regular season. So, uh, more of that false sense of accomplishment thing.
- Disney World > Disney Land
- Dwight Howard, though he is worse than Yao, deserves to win this.
- If the Lakers were to win, it would throw a wrench into the Kobe/LeBron debate, giving Kobe a slight edge. I'm in the King's court on this one.
- Van Gundy Love; a victory for Stan is a victory for Jeff is a victory for Rockets fans in my book.
- I hate Kobe Bryant. Great player, but I can't stand him. And I told you that Spike Lee documentary would suck. Rod Benson agrees: "Maybe Spike Lee drops "J.J. Redick: Shootin' Treys." It follows him as he shoots treys in practice. It'd probably be as interesting as "Doin' Work" was."
- A ring for J.J. Redick is a ring for Duke.
- If Jameer Nelson comes back, it will lessen the pain of watching Rafer win an NBA championship.
- We will be treated to a glorious Marcin Gortat celebration video.
- This heartwarming post.
The Man in the Middle
- Hedo Turkoglu. I don't know what to do with him. I don't like him, nor do I dislike him. Consider him stricken from the record.
Looks like I've found my team. Go Magic!