As we begin to prepare for the 2015-16 NBA season, The Dream Shake is looking for passionate Rockets fans to join our team to help us with feature articles, daily links posts, breaking news and social media.
I really enjoy working with the team we have and think we're poised for a great year, but I think we could use a little bit of extra help to fill in a few gaps. Daryl Morey has reloaded and retooled his team, and, likewise, we're looking to expand our bench. I think we're already the best Rockets site on the web, but I also know we can be a lot better.
If you think you're a strong candidate, read on!
Who we're looking for
- Passionate Rockets fans who already spend time keeping up with daily news about the team.
- Fans with strong opinions and unique perspectives about the team, which you're able to defend in writing. Maybe even some (tasteful) humor?
- Team players who know what they want out of the experience and want to contribute to the continued growth of The Dream Shake.
- Clear thinkers with the ability to identify significant stories and concisely articulate their impact on the team.
- Emerging writers who want greater exposure for their work.
What we're looking for
- Help with gameday previews and recaps.
- Daily links to help increase community engagement.
- Short form content that will help to increase social media engagement.
- Short, sharp, snappy writing.
How to apply
To apply, follow these directions:
1. Click here to apply to join SB Nation-NBA.
2. Send me an email letting me know that you've applied with a brief explanation of why you're interested in writing for TDS and what you'd add to our existing staff based on what you know about the site.
3. Use the subject line "TDS application: [your last name]".
4. Attach a brief (300-500 words max) writing sample in response to any one of the following topics that you would hypothetically submit for publishing:
- Why the Rockets will come out of the ridiculously deep Western Conference.
- How the Rockets' starting 5 matches up with the best around the league
- How much do you think Terrence Jones and Donatas Motiejunas should be worth when their free agents, or in the trade market at the deadline
5. If you're already an active member of our community, please include your user name as well so I know who you are. And if you've previously written FanPosts here, definitely let me know so I can look back at those.
When we want to complete the process
The deadline to submit an application is September 30, 2015. I will respond to everyone who applies shortly after that date to let you know what we decided.
- - -
Of course, we'd love to have people who listened closely to all of their elementary school teachers' sentence diagramming lessons and write pristine prose, but what we really want to see is passion, (tasteful) humor, and an ability to organize and defend ideas. There are no right answers or expectations of needing to be optimistic or pessimistic about things (you've probably noticed that our current staff runs the gamut in that regard) but originality is certainly preferred.
As stated in that official SB Nation application, these positions are unpaid but provide opportunities for exposure and advancement if the talent and desire is there.
If you've come this far, thanks for considering this and I hope you apply! But even if you don't want to frequently contribute to TDS but have thoughts you want to share, you're always free to voice your opinions in a FanPost — there's always plenty to discuss about the Rockets and we want to make this a space that encourages the free flow of ideas about the team.