On Jan. 21 Andre Drummond set an NBA record for missed free throws in a single game while Ryan Dunsmore and I looked on. During the free throw calamity disguised as a basketball game I wandered into the team store to make a list of the best and worst items in the team store.
In 2013 I cataloged the five worst things in the Rockets team store. This year I added the best items, because a load of money almost fell out of my wallet and into the cash register.
Rockets Team Store Best:
1. These Hakeem Olajuwon & Kenny Smith socks, $16. Sock game, strong.
2. These sweet lids, $24.
3. This assortment of all beanies, $25.
Ranked: 1. Clutch city. 2. Yellow pom pom. 3. Horizontal stripes. 4. Grey "Rockets". 5. Grey pom pom.
4. The James Harden chef hat and apron, $35.
You can go to a Rockets game looking like a normal person and trade $35 American dollars to be on TV. Fair trade.
Rockets Team Store Worst:
1. The Houston Rockets "boonie bucket hat", $30.
If bucket hats made a comeback, I missed the memo. Which wouldn't be surprising.
2. The Houston Rockets team gnome, $30.
Like Pierre the Pelican, this cannot be unseen.
3. Dwight Howard portrait, $9.
Why? Was this photo taken at Houston Rockets prom?
4. James Harden beach towel, $20.
Galveston with the James Harden beach towel, family.